Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 7, 2008

I added another box


Photo by T. Driggers
This colony needed another box

The packages have been building up. Most of mine are in need of another box.
The weather has been a problem for a faster build up.
When it is cool like it has been the bees can't expand the brood nest compared to when it is warmer. The bees have to cover the brood to keep it warm.
The cold temperatures make the bees cluster, this year a little more than usual.
The tighter cluster means less frames covered leading to a slower build up. I am still feeding the bees on foundation.
I am being hopeful of a lagging nectar flow due to this unseasonable weather.
Look for the first clover bloom. An old beekeeper told me that the main nectar flow starts about 10 days after the first clover bloom.