Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Swarming


I have been starting to get swarm calls from the general public. They call to get help getting rid of them. I have called a few beekeepers that wanted them and they picked them up.
Normally swarming happens usually around mid - June. The swarming going on now is a direct result of over wintered colonies not being divided.
Not dividing colonies that need it, leads to no surplus honey and possibly not enough honey to over winter the survivors.
Many small beekeepers don't want to expand their colonies. There are many people who are looking for divides right now that would be interested in buying them.