Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

I Have A Nectar Flow



My helper, she watched me work for around 10 minutes, then moved on.


Notice the white edges on my dark burr comb. This was an immediate indicator of a nectar flow in progress.


New white comb at the top of the frame. Nectar is filling up the cells.


A good shot of the cells at the top of the frame. The nectar is shimmering in the cells. One cell is already is starting to be capped.

Checked my bees tonight at the bee yard at my house. I popped the cover, pulled up the inner cover and viola light comb.
The bees have been filling a couple combs with new nectar. I have supers on but the honey they are putting up is in the top deep hive body.
This colony was off an over- wintered colony that was average in numbers of bees. My packages or nucs don't have the same number of bees yet. Probably another week to 10 days on the nuc's and about 10 - 14 days on the packages when they will have about this number of bees.
I had a helper watching me as I worked the bees.