Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Winter Peek


Took a peek at a hive I wintered. Good thing I did. I knew this hive was light on stores. They have eaten most of the food in the top box on that side of the deep. There is some full frames of honey on the other side of the top deep. This is a good example of a hive consuming honey and now don't have any full frames next to them. Tomorrow I will go out and reposition some full frames of honey right next to the cluster. This should help them survive a cold blast that looks like it is a week away according to the weatherman. If I don't do this this colony will starve in the very near future because they will not be able to reach the full frames of honey in their present position.
 A quick peek and look at the tops of the comb. In this picture it is obvious that the top of the frames look empty. This should be a clue that the whole frame is more than likely empty of food. Putting on a beesuit and lighting a smoker the quick peek and move a couple frames of honey right next to the cluster takes about one minute. 
The two frames next to the cluster look empty.
Photo by Wendy Kloek