Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Update on Zombie bees

I take it most beekeepers have heard of the much hyped zombie bees that has come out in the last week. The honey bees that have been parisitized by Phorid flies. The media has hit this with gusto just like a bee truck rollover.
The following is a e-mail from one of the authors:

It looks like the media has really run with the whole zombie-bee phorid thing. Charles and I are authors on that paper, but I want you to know that we do not agree with the statements being made in the press and by others,claiming that phorids are even remotely responsible for colony collapse. You may hear from your stakeholders that are listening to the popular press today. The media is way over-hyping this story.
-j


--------------------------------------------
Joseph DeRisi
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
UC San Francisco