Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Sunday, June 28, 2009

A great nectar flow

Honey glistening in the comb

This is the second super on a colony. The bees have worked up into the second super after only about one week. This is a package I started on drawn comb from my April 25th delivery.

This nectar flow is maybe going to be a great one. The weather is great, we have ample moisture, and the hives have been building up nicely.
The basswoods are blooming in the west metro and mine here in Stillwater should be blooming by Tues.
The warm days and nights hopefully will make the basswood flow. If that happens the supers will fill quickly.
Right now I have several colonies with two supers and with honey in the boxes. I have added two more supers on them.
It is important to stay ahead of the honey coming in because a super can be filled in less than a week. Supers go on two at a time.
Drawing new foundation in the supers? Put foundation directly on top of the brood nest. The bees will draw it out better.