Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2020

Winter is coming back

 I just saw the weather, winter storm watch for tonight. 4 - 7 inches possible for Washington County. It may go east, that would be fine with me. Why would I push the snow onto my neighbors from Wisconsin? Because I have not finished my bee work yet. It got warm here recently and it has been a little too warm for an effective Oxalic Acid treatment. Plus I wanted to give the hives a few more days for any left over brood to hatch out. 

 My plan was to finish the treatment when our temperature become more seasonal. I have my battery charged for vaporizing Oxalic Acid. So I am ready. Now the plan is to treat on Wednesday, high of 45, looks like that is the day. I will be getting the treatments done and covering my hives and my last winter work will be done.

 I have been invited to do a Zoom meeting for the Stillwater Bee Club next Tuesday. Topic is wintering, maybe discussion on some creamed honey. Could be that I am the only one left who hasn't completed their wintering, so my topic may be a moot point.