Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

What is happening on the bee front

The cold weather is hanging on refusing to leave. It looks like the next week is still more of the same. I am leaving my black winter boxes on until the temps are in the 40's on a steady basis. Going out to one of my bee yards I lifted up all the top boxes an inch off the lower box to get an idea if the bees needed feed or not. One of the colonies very light on stores and I started feeding them sugar water or they would be dead in a week. The other colonies were still good on honey stores. A quick peek under the inner cover, if the cluster had no honey near them, I moved a frame of honey next to the cluster being careful not to move the cluster of bees. All of the colonies got a pollen patty.
 This time of year I only feed if the bees are low on stores.
Right now a colony should have a bee strength of four frames of bees. If a colony has two frames or less of bees they are very weak and will not mature into a healthy colony.
 Hopefully this cold weather will make a quick exit soon. The average high temperature this time of year is in the forties.