Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Colder Weather Moving In

It looks like we are about to be slammed with some refreshing fall weather.
 Now is the time to put in entrance reducers to keep the mice out. I always put mine in the widest opening.
 It is too early for winter covers. I wouldn't even think about putting on the winter wraps until at least Nov 1st. Personally my covers go on Thanksgiving weekend, unless we are going to get dumped on with a snow storm.
Feeding can still go on now, but as it gets colder the bees won't take the feed as well. So feeding as soon as possible is always the best bet.
Several mite treatments are temperature sensitive. Apiguard and Mite Away Quick strips don't work well at all when daytime temperature stay in the 60's. The best option for this colder weather treatments is Hopguard.