Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 13, 2011

What caused this?


A beekeeper sent me these pictures in hopes of trying to figure out what did this. I thought a bear at first because of the elevation of the damage. Then looking at the claw marks they seemed small. I am open for a CSI observation.
There were no observable foot prints and a rock was knocked of the top of the lid. Many varmints are in hibernation mode right now so it is hard to put a finger on it. Could it be a Woodpecker? I think a bee would be a tasty treat.
I have been e-mailed a suggestion that it is a Red squirrel tearing off the cardboard cover for nesting material.