Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Checked a bee yard today

I finally was able to get to this beeyard on a four wheeler today. I have been nervous because the battery for the bear fence was not there. I put on a fully charged battery and the bear fence is on. The bear fence I have really packs a wallop.
 I looked at all my hives. I wintered seven hives in this yard. Six of them made it. Actually all of the six looked great. I put pollen patties on everyone and fed syrup and moved a few frames of honey around. I will leave the winter covers on for another week. When I go out a give them their first reversal, I will remove all the covers then.
 So I lost one colony out of 10 that I wintered. The plan is to run more hives this coming season. I actually heeded my own advise this year. I did all the mite treatments at the proper time and the bees were all heavy with honey going into winter.

You can see winter covers on seven hives. One did not make it.

All six of them looked like this. Packed with bees. They should give me some great splits in May.