Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Bears

I have heard of 6 beekeepers hit by bears this week. I myself was one of them. I have a yard at a non profit in Marine. They have a seven foot high fence around about fifteen acres. They grow vegetables in this site. My bees have been there for many years. Bears have always been in the area and I have never had a problem. Somehow a bear must have tunneled under the fence and found a tasty snack at my expense. The bear destroyed four of eight hives.
Another beekeeper in south Maplewood also was hit. Bears are out there and if you don't have a bear fence they will happily share your bees with you.
Add caption