Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2013

Bear Fence

 12 volt fencer mounted in a deep hive body.
 The fencer, 12 volt deep cycle battery, solar charging regulator
 Closed up fencer with the solar panel on top. There is a black switch on the front to turn the fence off.
This fencer pegs all the lights on the tester. 7000 volts

Wendy and I spent a morning cleaning the bee yard and restringing some fence wires. I also had to upgrade the gate. So the whole fence got an upgrade. Wendy was working the shovel and rake smoothing the edges of the yard so the fence wires were not touching the ground. We both found where all the wood ticks were hiding.
Wendy and I put in a new bear fencer. It is 12 volt and as I can attest from personal experience, if you touch the fence when it is hot, it WILL HURT.
I swear it felt like 10,000 volts.
This 12 volt fencer puts out 2 joules of power. Most 6 volt solar fencers put out .15 joules or less. More joules means a better shocking experience. This fencer uses less power when it is not weedy. If it gets weedy and the weeds are touching the wires it will still deliver the hefty jolt but battery consumption increases. The 30 watt solar panel keeps the battery charged. A solar power controller stops the battery from overcharging.
I hope this will keep Yogi at bay. I am sure on his next visit, he will be shocked to see the changes in my bee yard.