Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 9, 2020

Putting bees in a nuc hive, cold weather install

I put package bees in some nucs. This was done when it was cold, around 40 degrees. I did not spray the bees or the queen. When it is cold, you may not want to spray the bees. This can chill the bees and the bees may not get off the bottom board and they can die. Plus, when it is cold, you do not want to spray the queen, this can chill her. By using the rubber band as I demonstrate in the video works great.
 If you have drawn comb but no honey, take a spray bottle with 1:1 sugar syrup. Spray the syrup into the cells of a frame of drawn comb. Load the frame up with syrup. The bees will have plenty to eat when you put the bees in.