Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 24, 2013

What is going on in the hive

Right now the bees are in the upper box. The queen has been laying for a while now. There is brood in the colony now. Maybe on one frame at the moment. The queen will be increasing egg production and the brood nest will start to expand to several frames over the next month. Food consumption will rise with the now expanding frames of brood. Now with the temperatures in the 30's would be a good time to check food stores. I like to lift the top box up to see what the weight is. If it is very light, starvation is imminent, I would feed syrup if they are at this point.
 If they still have some decent weight I hold off feeding for a couple more weeks.
Pollen patties will be going on by the second week of March.