Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Dealing with Granulated Corn Syrup


This is a pail heater. This type of heater is not to be used in honey.


The shielded end keeps it away from the pail. I make sure the heating element is totally submerged in syrup.


Pushing it into the granulation it will heat up quickly. I never leave it unattended while it is heating.


I use a drywall mixer on a drill motor to stir it. This mixer also works great for mixing sugar and water in a 5 gallon pail.
When I add fumigillan to syrup this works great for mixing it in.

I have to feed my bees. All my HFCS high fructose corn syrup has granulated since spring. I use my bucket heater to liquefy the syrup. The heater in the pail took about 2 hours to liquefy stirring it a couple times. This heater is not to be used on honey as it is not approved to use with food.