Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 22, 2020

Time to Winterize the bees?

 While we have experienced a bout of winter weather, putting winter covers on is not paramount at this time. While it is on the cool side, the bees can handle 30 degree weather with no stress. The future weather still has a warmup in the future, of into the forties. I am holding off on covering my hives until I do my Oxalic Acid treatment. I would like it to be 40 degrees out to make my treatment. But having said that, it would not be negative to cover the hives and finish any winter prep. The bees will not take any more syrup at these cool temperatures. 

Here are a couple video's of using different types of winter covers: