Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Friday, February 12, 2016

Pileated Woodpecker

I have used this woodpecker suet feeder for several years. This male Pileated Woodpecker, in all this time of watching, has never used this side of the feeder. There is another hanging feeder next to this one and I assume they did not like the obstacle.
They are big birds and come flying in like a 747. Amazing how they can move through the landscape. To give reference of the size, there are two suet cakes in the feeder. They are each four inches tall.
 If you notice underneath the suet, the board hanging down. Woodpeckers need this to push off the feeder to get airborne. You can see the tail planted against the board.