Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Friday, July 3, 2015

Nectar Flow

Honeybee on my just now flowering Basswood Tree photo by W. Kloek
My basswood tree has finally flowered. This honeybee was taking advantage of the available nectar.
I am hearing great things about this nectar flow. A beekeeper that keeps bees in St. Paul near the Mississippi river has four capped supers already. That is about 140 lbs of honey. Which equals about 2-1/3 five gallon pails.  He is going to extract the supers this weekend and put the supers back on.  He started the hive with a package of bees this spring.
This nectar flow still has another four weeks to go.
Stay ahead of the bees, add supers before the supers on the hive are full. Check supers weekly. When in doubt add supers.