- Follow the directions for making a divide.
- After the divide has been queenless overnight,
- Put a sheet of newspaper on top of the package. put a 1/4" slit in the newspaper roughly in the middle.
- Set the divide on top of the package.
- Now the hive is two deeps high. Put an inner cover on top and feed with a feeder pail. Put the telescoping cover on top and leave them alone for a week. Over the course of the week paper pulp will be seen outside in front of the hive.
- After a week open the hive and take out any extra paper. Check the hive for eggs to make sure it is queenrite.
- Continue feeding if necessary.
Thursday, May 1, 2014
A divide with a package
Some beekeepers are going to want to make a divide on an overwintered colony. They purchased a package to fill up empty equipment. Now their overwintered colony is getting full, and they need to divide the overwintered colony so it won't swarm. The nice part of this type of management, is that the beekeeper won't have to purchase a queen.