Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Think before you do it


Excerpt from Pigeon Mountain Bee Supplier newsletter this week:

I cannot stress to you all how important it is for you to read and follow the hiving installation instructions!! Here are just a few of the calls we’ve received this week from our customers:


  • Upon  arrival, I took the Queen out of her cage to look at her. She stung me and  flew away.
  • I  was busy and did not install my bees the day they arrived. I didn’t want them  in the house overnight, so  I put them in my bass boat outside for the night. The next morning they were  all dead, as the temperature  fell below freezing.  
  • I  put both of my packages into my one hive and turned both Queens loose at the  same time.
  • I  was not home when my bees arrived. my wife put them in a sealed plastic bag as  she was afraid of them.  They were mostly dead by the time I got home.  
  • The  spray container I used to spray some sugar water on the bees had been used for  spraying insecticides  before. This killed my bees...I did not know they were that sensitive to  insect poisons.