Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Drilling a winter entrance hole in deep hive bodies



 I drill holes in all my deep hive bodies for a future winter entrance. You never know which box will end up on top so a one inch hole in all the brood boxes is a necessity. I use a one inch auger bit. I like that style of drill the best. It has a screwed tip that pulls the drill through the wood. A strong drill is required and a strong grip on the drill. I use an 18 volt Dewalt battery drill on the slowest setting. The hole is drilled on the short side, in the center of the side, one inch below the handhold.