Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Saturday, August 11, 2012

Goldenrod

I have started to see Goldenrod blooming around the metro. The field across the street from my house has yellow color starting to open up. With any luck my hives should be stinking like wet sweat socks shortly. That will tell me the Goldenrod is producing nectar. The Goldenrod seems very abundant this year.
 My hives seem to be congregating at the front door. That tells me there may be not much nectar coming in at the moment.
 I was driving in western Wisconsin yesterday and noticed a farmer cutting his 3rd hay crop of the year. There is still time for the hay to grow and flower one more time. If the farmers don't cut it there may be some late clover for the bees to get the weight up for winter.