Tuesday, May 22, 2012
I went through the hive that the swarm came from. I first checked the top bars and bottom bars for swarm cells. Found a few capped. I scrapped them off. I decided I wanted to check the brood for disease. I started pulling a few frames. The beekeeper had 10 frames in a couple boxes that made it tough to get the frames out. One box had 9 so that one was easy. It is a good thing I pulled frames. I found another 15 queen cells that were ripe and ready to hatch. I am sure they would have emerged in the next hour or so. I squashed all the cells. The brood looked great, all pearly white. No eggs as expected but older and capped larvae through out the 3 box hive. After the inspection I installed a new Carniolan queen that the beekeeper can release when he is back from his business trip.