Disclaimer:

This blog explains how I keep bees. It works for me, it might not work for you. Use my methods at your own risk. Always wear protective clothing and use a smoker when working bees.

Search This Blog

Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year, My New Years Resolution

Today is Jan 1 2010. New Year resolutions are being laid out all over the world. A new year for beekeeping is here. It is time to get into the beekeeping mode. I am planning to do a major housekeeping chore of getting rid of much of my old comb and old boxes. The comb on many of my colonies are now over 10 years old. They have seen many different hive treatments that with time can build up in the brood comb.
This type of cleaning can help with better queen viability, less chalkbrood and nosema and a general better well being of the colony.
I know I will take a decrease in honey production with all the new comb that the bees will have draw out but, in the big picture it will set me up for more successes in the future.
So the New Year resolution will be, new comb for better bees. My bees will be healthier and much better off.